Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Welcome//Bienvenido



Whenever I tell people that I am a European History major, one of the most common responses I get is, “Oh! Have you watched The Tudors?” Yes. Yes, I have seen The Tudors. I am familiar with Anne Boleyn, Elizabeth I, “Bloody Mary”, and, of course, Henry VIII. His colossal, full-length Hans Holbein portrait is forever engraved into my memory. The Tudor reign was significant to world history, religion, etc., but it is unfortunate that such a short-lived dynasty (only 118 years!) is the most focused upon part of European history. There are a great many other people and events that are equally important and as interesting as they. So, if you have happened upon this blog in hopes of scandalous tales of the goings on within the bedchambers of Hampton Court, this is probably not the blog for you.
But if you fancy stories from Spain, Portugal and surrounding areas, analyses of classic works of art, and accounts of fascinating occurrences beginning around the fall of the Western Roman Empire—well, then you are in luck. I have crafted Iberia and Beyond to chronicle this niche area of history, often neglected from most history books and documentaries. I hope you appreciate it as much as I.

No comments:

Post a Comment